Sunday, April 22, 2007

Finishing Italy



Ever since I saw the James Bond film Moonraker at some hotel during a Goessling family vacation, I have wanted to see Venice. In that film there was high speed gondolas and Italian knife throwing assassins who pursue Bond through the canals. While I didn't see the knife throwing madmen, I did get to see a great City. We arrived in the mid afternoon and dropped off our bags at the train station, we then proceeded to walk toward the Plaza San Marco. Of course we didn't know that Venice was labyrinth of canals, bridges and narrow streets. This lead us to get lost and consult the map many times.

We eventually made it to the Plaza. It was here that we received help ordering pizza from an Opera singer. Here's how the conversation went.

"Thanks for helping us order"
"No problem"
"Are you from Venice"
"Now, I'm from New York, but I work here"
"Oh what do you do here, like tourism stuff?"
"No, I work at the Opera"
"Oh cool, like organizing shows"
"Now, I'm a singer"
"Do you only work here?"
"No, I have worked (insert crazy locations from around the world)

I like to think we met a world famous Opera star, but who knows. Anyway we made it the plaza where we enjoyed our pizza (just to clarify, pizza in Italy is really really good). Then we started playing with the pigeons. Now it has been pointed out to be that pigeons carry diseases, if this is true I guess something like this was a bad idea.

Ruby got in on the action too.

We then walked back to the train station. At one point we had to take a water taxi across one of the canals. It was pretty sweet and we took a complimentary "We are in Venice on a boat in a Canal so check it out!" picture.


While in Italy we also made it Florence. Florence was pretty cool, we saw the statue of David, ate really good food, and ate even better Gellato. We spent the last night in Italy in Milan and woke up and headed off to Switzerland. Stay tuned.

No comments: