Monday, February 12, 2007

Getting Around






Welcome to Madrid. That guy on the horse is Don Quixote, the hero of Miguel Cervantes classic book. This statue is in the Plaza Espana so I figured it would be a nice symbol of Madrid. My blog will now begin regular posts about the things going on in my life right now. I'll post later in the week on my family, but let's focus right now on my location. I'm living in an area close to the metro stop called Arguelles. Here is my location on a map. I live at the place where the Brown line starts on the left side. It's the "4" train.




And here is a picture of my metro stop.



Every time I use the Metro, I get on here. In the background there is that big building on the left. This is the Corte Ingles, which is basically the universe in a store. They have everything from treadmills to tarts on sale. The building is kind of shaped in a triangle, which is helpful because it points toward my house. On school days I take the Metro (it's about a 15 minute) ride to school. The stop for the school is Ruben Dario. I have to make one transfer but it seems like second nature now. Here is the Ruben Dario stop.

I get out there and walk down the street for about one minute and then I'm at the school. The school is a pretty sweet looking building. It's called the International Institute and you can check it out here.
This place is located directly across from the Police Station and they are always outside chilling, so Mom, Dad and relatives do not worry, it is a safe place to study. Syracuse is not the only school that has a study abroad program in the building. Boston University has one as well. Considering I could have gone to Boston University, maybe this place is my destiny.

I'll post about my host family in the coming days. Aidos.

No comments: